상세검색
최근 검색어 전체 삭제
다국어입력
즐겨찾기0
고궁문화 제15호.jpg
학술저널

경복궁 사정전 <쌍룡도> 벽화의 설치 배경과 제작 시기 검토

경복궁 사정전思政殿의 어칸御間 상단에는 두 마리의 용이 여의주를 두고 희롱하는 모습을 그린 벽화가 붙어있었다. 이 벽화는 재질과 화풍이 왕실의 품격에 맞지 않는다는 이유로 2000년 12월 문화재 위원회에서 그림을 떼어내 따로 보관하고 참고자료로 활용할 것을 결정하였다. 그러나 벽화가 왜 사정전에 설치되어 있었는지에 대한 역사적 고찰은 이루어지지 않았다. 본 논고에서는 〈쌍룡도〉 벽화의 설치 배경과 현재의 모습을 갖추기까지 과정에 대해서 살펴보았다. 이를 위해 먼저 2000년 철거 당시의 문건 속에 기록된 배접용 낙폭지落幅紙 사진을 판독하였다. 낙폭지는 1866년(고종 3) 3월 실시된 정시廷試 과거시험의 답안지로 추정되었다. 이를 통해 사정전 어칸 후열의 고주를 가로지르며 상단에 설치한 대형 장지는 경복궁 중건 당시부터 있었던 것임을 알 수 있었다. 중국 자금성의 편전便殿 기능을 한 보화전, 건청궁, 교태전, 황극전 등에는 황제의 보좌 위를 〈오룡도五龍圖〉, ‘쌍룡희주雙龍戱珠’ 등의 용 그림으로 장식한 예를 볼 수 있듯이 경복궁 중건 당시에 청 궁정의 그림 의장 장식을 도입하여, 사정전 어칸 기둥 사이에 장지를 설치하고 그 앞을 용 그림으로 장식했던 것으로 추정이 가능했다. 다음으로 〈쌍룡도〉 벽화의 제작 시기를 판단하기 위해 19세기 말 궁중에서 제작된 용 그림과 화풍을 비교해 보았다. 〈쌍룡도〉 벽화는 전통의 쌍룡희주 도상을 그렸으나, 공필의 진채로 그린 궁중 그림과 달리 먹을 위주로 음영과 입체감을 강조한 점 등이 일본의 〈운룡도雲龍圖〉 화풍에 가까웠다. 1915년 조선총독부가 경복궁에서 조선물산공진회를 열었을 때, 사정전은 ‘박애관博愛館’이라는 전시 공간으로 탈바꿈되었는데, 그 과정에서 원래 있던 벽화를 떼어내고 하단의 판병과 어좌를 들어내는 구조 변경이 이루어졌다. 그리고 공진회가 끝난 후에 조선총독부박물관의 부속 전시관으로 사용되면서 여백으로 남은 장지 벽면 위에 〈쌍룡도〉를 새로 제작해 붙인 것으로 판단된다. 1963년 경복궁이 사적으로 지정되고 나서야 비로소 사정전 구역에 대한 수리가 이루어졌다. 해방 후에도 오랫동안 관람 구역에서 제외되어 있었던 사정전 내부는 벽화의 종이가 찢어지는 등 훼손이 심해지자 1986년 벽화의 보존처리가 처음 있었다. 그리고 2000년에 그림을 부착했던 판벽과 함께 〈쌍룡도〉가 철거되면서 현 상태의 모습을 갖추게 된 것이다.

On the upper wall of the central hall of Sajeongjeon in Gyeongbokgung Palace, there used to be a painting of twin dragons playing with a magic ball of cintamani. The painting was taken off the wall for safe storage and future reference after the Cultural Properties Committee decided that the painting was unsuitable for the dignity of the Joseon royal family due to its material and style. Despite this decision, few studies have been conducted on how it ended up in the palace hall. In this study, the main discussion focuses on the background to the installation of the painting in Sajeongjeon Hall, its history, and the current situation. The discussion includes an examination of a photograph of the test paper sheets used to back the painting that was kept among the documents produced at the time of its removal in 2000. The examination of the backing paper suggested that it could have been a test paper of the state examination held in the third month of 1866, during the reign of King Gojong (r. 1863-1907) of the Joseon dynasty. It shows that the upper part of the rear wall of Sajeongjeon Hall was part of the original building at the time of the renovation of Gyeongbokgung Palace. It is conjectured that, as shown by the dragon paintings hung over the imperial throne in Bohwajeon, Geoncheonggung, Gyotaejeon, Hwanggeukjeon and other halls used as the emperor's council hall in the Forbidden City in China, the renovators of Gyeongbokgung Palace adopted the ceremonial paintings in the imperial court of Qing for the royal palace of Joseon, including the twin dragon mural on the upper part of the rear wall of Sajongjeon Hall in the renovated palace. This study also compares the style of the painting with that of other dragon paintings produced by the royal court of Joseon during the late nineteenth century in an effort to identify its date of production. The painting captured the traditional subject of a pair of dragons chasing after a magic ball of cintamani, but its style seems to be closer to the Japanese cloud and dragon paintings marked by the use of ink and a shading technique aiming for a three-dimensional effect, rather than the traditional court paintings of Joseon, which featured the use of detailed brush- strokes and deep-color pigments. When the Japanese Government-General of Korea held the Korean Product Promotion Fair at Gyeongbokgung Palace, Sajeongjeon Hall was converted into an exhibition hall, called the Bagaegwan, following a renovation project in which the painting was removed together with the throne and the board fence. It is conjectured that the twin dragon painting was made at a later date and hung on the wall to cover the space left empty after the industrial fair. It was in 1963, after Gyeongbokgung Palace was designated as a Historic Site, that the area around Sajeongjeon Hall underwent major repairs. The interior of the hall was neglected even after the 1945 Korean liberation until 1986 when the wall painting, heavily damaged by then, underwent its first preservation treatment. The twin dragon painting was removed together with the board wall in 2000, leaving it in the condition we can see today.

Ⅰ. 머리말

Ⅱ. 〈쌍룡도〉벽화관리이력과배접지판독

Ⅲ. 사정전어칸벽화장식의유래

Ⅳ. 〈쌍룡도〉벽화의도상과화풍비교

Ⅴ. 일제강점기사정전내부개조

Ⅵ. 맺음말

로딩중