상세검색
최근 검색어 전체 삭제
다국어입력
즐겨찾기0
백산학보 第128號.jpg
KCI등재 학술저널

수서동 유적으로 본 조선시대 사찰의 성격 변화 연구

불교는 기원전 5세기 인도에서 발생하여 아시아 여러 지역에서 다양한 형태로 발전해 왔다. A.D 372년 한반도로 전래된 이래로 왕실 등 지배층들의 후원을 받아 널리 퍼져나갔다. 이러한 불교가쇠퇴하기 시작한 것은 조선시대부터이다. 유교를 숭상하는 신진사대부에 의해 조선이 건국되면서불교에 대한 국가적 차원의 경제적 후원이 차츰 줄어들게 되고, 경제적 기반을 잃은 사찰들은 점점그 사세가 줄게 되었다. 하지만 이러한 국가정책과는 반대로 조선 초기 왕실과 사대부 가문의 불교후원은 계속되었다. 왕실은 기존의 사찰을 능침사 또는 내원당 등으로 지정하여 후원하였고, 사대부들은 가문의 개인 사찰인 분암 등을 지어 불사를 이어나갔다. 하지만 유교적 사회 분위기가 강화되고사대부들이 더는 불교식 상장례를 치르지 않게 되면서 무덤을 수호하고 제사의 역할을 하던 사찰들의 역할이 흔들리게 된다. 특히 임진왜란과 병자호란은 폐사를 가속화시키는 계기가 되었고, 왕릉을 관리하는 능침사 또한 폐사되는 사례들이 발생한다. 17세기에 이르러 지속적인 능 관리를 위해 능인근의 사찰을 조포사로 지정하였으나, 경제적 후원이 없었던 사찰들은 지속적으로 폐사되어 갔다. 수서동 유적은 15세기 말 건립되어 19세기까지 존속했던 사찰이다. 총 12동의 건물지와 4기의기와가마가 확인되었다. 유적은 15세기 후반 중정을 중심으로 조성된 9동의 건물지와 기와가마가조성된 후, 17~18세기 기와가마를 파괴하고 3동의 중복된 건물지가 배치된 형태이다. 왕실 또는왕실 관련 시설에서 사용할 수 있는 고급자기, 마연기와, 용문막새 등과 사찰에서 사용되는 연화문+ 범자 막새 등이 함께 출토되었다. 1495년 광평대군(廣平大君, 1425~1444)의 묫자리를 선릉 자리로 내어주게 되면서 묘역을 이장할 때 건립된 광평대군 가문의 분암으로, 최소 100여 년간 그 역할을하였다. 17세기 초~1728년 사이 헌릉 관리를 위한 사찰인 조포사로 헌납되면서 봉헌사라 명명되고, 사찰의 성격은 분암에서 조포사로 변한 것으로 보인다. 이후 경제적 기반이 없던 봉헌사는 차츰쇠락하여 조포사의 역을 수행하지 못할 정도에 이르고, 최소 1872년까지는 사찰의 명맥은 유지했으나 폐사된 것으로 보인다.

Since its arrival in Korea in A.D. 372, Buddhism gained widespread acceptance with support from the royal family and ruling classes. However, during the Joseon Dynasty, Buddhism declined as Confucian scholars came to power, leading to a reduction in national economic backing for temples. Despite this, the royal family and prominent families continued to support Buddhism initially. Nevertheless, the role of temples in rituals and tomb protection diminished as Confucianism gained prominence. The Imjin War expedited the decline of royal tombs, with even Neungchimsa Temple, responsible for their management, ceasing to exist in some cases. Some temples near Neung were designated for tomb management but without financial support, they too declined. The Suseo-dong ruins, constructed in the late 15th century and active until the 19th century, consisted of 12 buildings and four tile kilns. Initially, nine buildings and kilns were built around a central yard in the late 15th century. Later, in the 17th and 18th centuries, the kilns were destroyed, and three overlapping buildings were arranged. Excavations revealed high-quality porcelain, sharpen tiles, and dragon-patterned tiles suitable for royal or related facilities, along with lotus and Sanskrit marked tiles used in temples. In 1495, the tomb site of Gwangpyung Prince (1425-1444) was relocated to the Seonneung site, and a Bunam for the Gwangpyung Prince family was erected, serving for at least a century. Between the early 17th century and 1728, the site was known as Bongheon Temple, later dedicated to Jopo Temple, responsible for managing Heonneung. The temple's nature shifted from a private family temple (Bunam) to a tomb management temple (Jopo). Despite maintaining its reputation until at least 1872, Bongheon Temple eventually closed due to a lack of economic support.

Ⅰ. 머리말

Ⅱ. 수서동 유적의 현황과 특징

Ⅲ. 수서동

로딩중